Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rhubarb Mojitos

Rhubarb Syrup!
It's hard to imagine that a mere four years ago, I could not have identifies raw rhubarb if I saw it. The first time I laid eyes on those perky stalks, I genuinely thought it was an heirloom celery. I trust you to keep this a secret, ok? These days, I view the rhubarb harvest as something akin to the Maypole or Memorial Day- it's my official start to summer and to diving in with both feet to our local, seasonal bounty.

It just so happens that limes are never local to Buffalo, NY. However, rhubarb pops up and refuses to back down, offering a delicate tartness that highlights the best of it's berry friends and begging you- double-dog-daring you- to try it out. So every year I promise myself that I will do as much with rhubarb as I can manage.

It's been three years now that the rhubarb mojito has been in full swing in our house. Our mint plantings are pretty head strong, so we look for opportunities to utilize it as often as possible. One day a lucky google search for mint and rhubarb recipes yielded the felicitous drink. We've modified it since to make it our very own. The most difficult step is making the rhubarb syrup, which happens to be a pretty easy step, actually. Here's how.


  1. Chop the rhubarb into small pieces and toss it in some sugar, enough to lightly coat it. 
  2. Allow the rhubarb to rest while bringing some water to boil. 
  3. Dump the rhubarb into the water and then lower to a simmer. 
  4. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb breaks down into a string-like substance and the mixture looks tan. Add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter beverage. 
  5. Strain out the strings to reveal a lovely pink syrup. Refrigerate. 
At this step, you can use with soda water for a rhubarb syrup or move on to the harder alcohol realm. The mojito will require mint, rum, soda water, and ice. For a mojito: 
  1. Muddle (or smoosh, in layman's terms) several mint leaves at the bottom of a tumbler. We use the other side of a citrus reamer in lieu of an actual muddler. 
  2. Add a finger (or two if you are feeling naughty) of rum. White rum is recommended and I do find it more in line with the flavor of this recipe. 
  3. Toss in some rhubarb syrup and stir. I'd add another finger to start. 
  4. Add ice and then top off with soda water. 
  5. Stir and then sit down to enjoy a lovely slice of pink, alcoholy heaven. 
It's that easy and it is quite the little after dinner refresher. 






No comments:

Post a Comment