Monday, June 17, 2013

Urban Herbalism: A Quick Exfoliator

Pre-mixed. 
I have sensitive skin that reacts to many facial products with hives and breakouts, so one of the first things I did when I started playing with herbs was to develop my own facial care products.

These days, I use a blend I have perfected over time as a cleansing exfoliator. This and a dab of healing oil (more to come on that one!) as a moisturizer are the only products I use and I would like to think my skin is the best it has ever been.

I modify these products, along with toners and masks, for friends and family. Everyone's skin is a bit different, so decide what works best for you and experiment with a few different blends. Here is how to make it:

  1. Find a great container. I am a little embarrassed by how many re-used mason and baby jars I have around, but maybe you can get really creative! 
  2. The majority of this cleanser is baking soda. Easy right? Baking soda is almost pH nuetral and acts to remove dead skin cells and dirt from your face. Toss about a cup of this in first. 
  3. Add clay. Because my skin tends toward dryness, I add very little- simply to pick up a bit more oil and impurities then only washing would and to help the mixture formed to maintain a paste. I used one tablespoon of kaolin clay and green clay each. These are both very healing and gentle on your skin. 
  4. Add herbs. I added powdered lavender, for calming and mild antibacterial action as well as rosehips for the Vitamin C and its antioxidant and anti-aging properties. Then I tossed in powdered calendula for its cell regeneration. I did about a tablespoon of each. It may not seem like much, but the continued exposure is the important thing here. 
  5. Cover and shake, shake, shake. 
Then, to use this to wash up, do the following: 
  1. Add a tablespoon and a half or so to your hands. 
  2. Add enough water to make a paste. 
  3. Mix in your hands, adding more water if needed. 
  4. Apply to face using gentle, circular motions. 
  5. Allow to remain for as long as you like. If you want to allow to dry you can or you can wash off immediately using splashes of water. 
  6. Dry face and moisturize. 
Tell me if your skin doesn't look a thousand times happier by morning! 



No comments:

Post a Comment