Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Five Adaptable Recipes for Seasonal Eating

When I first began to cook, I learned something about myself. It applies to all areas of my life, but it surfaced most significantly the moment I found myself surveying the recipes for baked goods. The truth is, instructions bore me. I hate them. As I hate hell and all Montagues.

It's not personal. I'm sure that if I met the good cooks who wrote things like "cut the stick of cold butter into 36 equal pieces" that I would not wish a plague upon their houses. However, I do have something of a bone to pick with them.

Cooking is such a sensual activity; so much of it is based on intuition and a sense of magic, an internal knowing even, that instructions almost never reflect the real poetry of the action. So I offer you this recommendation: learn to cook by cooking and eating. Use recipes when you need to as you get started, but for the most  part, engage this act of artistry by being the artist and the observer.

One part of this meditative art, for me, is to engage as many local vegetables and fruits as possible. It centers me in my place in the world, but it is also welcomes in produce at its absolute best. Each flavor, at its peak, will offer you something so unique and beautiful that you will want to form the recipe around it. And everything you make will be at its nutritional high point. When you first get started it can be hard to think of what to do with a thousand new fruits and veggies (and what the hell is kholrabi, anyway?). Here are a few ideas to get you started:


  1. Risotto: For years I avoided risotto, thinking that it seamed impossibly difficult. While it does require a bit of attention, the results are always rich, creamy and soul satisfy. Risottos are infinitely changeable and allow a vegetable to speak for itself while remaining a full mean. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Risotto-con-Parmigiano-Reggiano-4025 (Use real broth, if at all possible)
  2. Cobbler: Cobbler is something I throw together these days when I want to smell sweet baking fruit but I don't have the energy for much else. Once you have make a cobbler dough two or three times, you could probably do it by feeling rather than by looking up the ingredients. And the fruit filling is infinitely variable. Some may need more or less sugar, depending on the fruit, but you will get to know your own tastes! Here is a great starter: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/07/cornmeal-drop-biscuit-peach-blueberry-cobbler/
  3. Gratin: Most people have seen something cooked au Gratin, even if it is without knowing it. Potatoes au Gratin is the most popular. A creamy sauces is poured over veggies in a buttered pan and they are baked in their sauce. Each veggie will have slightly different cooking times, but you will know when the are done by when the top is a crispy brown and you can easily break them with a fork- similar to biting! My favorite variation includes fennel and is pretty close to this one: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/fennel-potato-gratin-10000000640872/index.html
  4. Galette: A galette is essentially a pie crust folded over rather than in a pie plate. Sure, you can make a pie, but these are adorable and get much more notice at events. The most important thing about a galette is to keep the crust as cold as possible and handle it as little as you can. If it needs to be rechilled because it is having trouble shaping, go ahead. We won't judge! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Blueberry-Galette-with-Lemon-Ice-Cream-109658
  5. Frittatas: What can't go in a frittata? I say nothing. Once you get used to making a frittata, you'll be using it for weekday breakfasts and brunches alike. It's simple and elegant. Grated zucchini with chevre, maybe? As[aragus and shallots? Broccoli and smoked gouda? These are a savor delight. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/frittata-recipe/index.html
  6. (BONUS!) Crepes! Fill these with savory things like steak, carmelized onions and cheddar. Or fill them with some blueberry compote and creme fraiche. I will not say no to either. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crepes-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment